Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A little help around here! PLEASE



I'm tired of picking up after my  kids.  What mom isn't?    Every day, it's six pairs of dirty socks on the floor (we don't even have that many feet in the house), old school work strewn about, dirty clothes,  hairbrushes, "artwork," blah, blah, blah.  We all know the drill.   Like most moms (well, I hope I'm like most moms) I've tried everything: no TV, canceled invites, double chores, screaming, swearing (yes, I've resorted to the "shock therapy," although it really isn't shocking at all for a teenager).  Of course, nothing works.  
 

I do not want to try the strike method.  You know, where the mom stops doing EVERYTHING, and four months later the rest of the family finally notices?Effective or not, it's gross.  Who really gets punished when dishes are piled to the ceiling and the laundry room smells of mildew?   Believe me, kids don't care that much.  

I do have one more idea.  It's bold, brash, daring, actually more than anything it's probably pointless.  We'll see.  I'm going to do what I always do: CLEAN UP AFTER MY KIDS.  Why?  Because I want a clean house. I don't want to be invited on a hoarding show; I don't want to climb over rat-attracting piles to get from my bedroom to the kitchen. I don't want to see, hear, breathe, walk on or touch filth!
 
Don't worry, I'm not giving in.  There is a catch. Instead of putting my kids' clothes in the washing machine, I will throw them on their bedroom floors.  Old papers?   Bedroom floor.   Jacket?  Floor.
Books, hair ties, trinkets, toys, gadgets, etc., all on the bedroom floor.  Then I will close the doors tightly.   Everyone will think my house is neat and tidy.  

I have no idea if my kids will even notice. Like the blogger who went on strike, only time will tell if this method proves effective.  I can guarantee I will get blamed when they can't find any clean clothes--or their bedroom floor!  I do promise this: I won't help them find what they're looking for.  Let them finally have to sort through their junk.

 

No comments :