Thursday, November 7, 2013

Never Work A Day In Your Life

You’ve heard the sayings before:

Live to work: don’t work to live.

Love what you do and you’ll never work a day in your life.

Success doesn’t create happiness; happiness creates success.

Chase a dream, not a pay check.

Okay, I made the last one up.

Why?  Because my dream job is to make things up.   (I'm a writer and that includes fiction.  I really do get to make things up.)  I’m a journalist too, so don’t worry.  I’m happy to work with facts when my job requires it.

Whoa--did you see that?   I used happy and job in the same sentence.   Believe it or not, you can too!  I’m not talking about getting rich quick or work-at-home schemes.  I’m talking about honest-to-goodness hard-word, pounding the pavement every day (and sometimes every night), and just plain putting yourself out there for the business world to see.   The difference is you are putting your “true” self out there.  The self that makes you comfortable, makes you smile, makes you shine.  Make no mistake about it, when you shine you become easier to see!

If everyone on this planet had the same interests and capabilities our progress would be very limited.  It is our differences that provide value.  It is our interests that provide that drive.

So, why is work so hard? According to a quote released in an article by Forbes.com, “Some surveys have found that 87 percent of Americans don't like their jobs.”  (Sorry, no sources were cited for these surveys.)  Whether accurate or not, plenty of people can’t stand Monday morning.  Or Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings, for that matter.  Friday’s a toss-up.  That's because they've found a job, not a passion.

Well, I’m doing what I love and what I’m good at.  While I’m not a millionaire, nor will I ever be (unless I win this week’s lottery, and you’ll know it if this is my last blog); I hope I never return to the 9 to 5 scene.

How did I get here?  For the record my background includes marketing, public relations, advertising, sales and writing.  I haven’t always liked all of those tasks, but apparently I was good at what I did.   I was willing to work hard and cared about my reputation.   More importantly, I found out what I loved to do.  Even more significant, I figured out how I could make money doing what I love to do.

To find out what you're passionate about check my Passions blog!

No comments :