|Learn to Bird Watch|
We all want to make improvements in our lives (at least, we should want to).
So, why not set up a challenge? Just one itty-bitty trial a day. Is there any fear you've wanted to conquer? A hobby you've wanted to take on?
I'd like to give credit where it's due. This idea came from my teenager prior to her first year of middle school. I remember how frightened she was (and excited). Yet by the end of the week, she'd met plenty of new friends (as did most of the other children).
What I didn't know was that she had made a pledge to say "hello" and compliment one new person every day. Every day.
So, what's your challenge going to be?
- -striking up a conversation with someone in the grocery line
- -taking the elevator instead of the stairs (if you're scared of heights or claustrophobic) or
- taking the stairs instead of the elevator (if you want to start exercising)
- -learning one fancy word every day
- -learning a new language (one new word a day, one phrase a week)
- -starting a journal
- -applying for jobs you'd love, even if you don't meet all of the requirements
- -writing your spouse love notes
- -reading a famous novel
- -paying for an extra coffee and giving it to the person in line beyond you
- -signing up for a class you've always wanted to take
- -volunteering for something you believe in
- -sending hand-written notes to friends you haven't seen for years
- -apologizing to or forgiving someone
- -writing a paragraph a day, a page a week, a chapter a month, a novel in a year
- -helping a neighbor with a chore
- -scheduling an appointment for a physical, a massage, a mammogram, or whatever it is your body needs
- -trying a new food
- -swapping your unhealthy snack for a fresh piece of fruit
- -calling someone special just to say "I love you."
- -asking a friend about her day
- -creating a piece of art
- -learning to read music
- -playing the guitar
Share your own personal challenge in the comments section or see Your Words.